Paris events in December focus on the holidays as lavish Christmas and New Year's decorations transform the city into a real City of Light.
Paris in December brings festive Christmas Markets overflowing with unique gifts and regional specialties, sparkling lights and decorations throughout the city's neighborhoods, and plenty of good cheer.
Sip a cup of vin chaud - hot mulled wine - as you do your holiday shopping, gaze at the magical holiday windows at the famous Paris department stores, and relax at special Christmas concerts in the city's magnificent churches.
And if you're lucky enough to be here for New Year's Eve, get ready for a spectacular celebration you'll always remember.
Top photo: Holiday lights along Champs Elysées leading up to the Arc de Triomphe
December Concerts in Paris
Christmas concerts take center stage in Paris during December 2021, although you'll also find plenty of classical concerts in the city's most beautiful old churches as well as opera and ballet at Palais Garnier and rock, indie, jazz, pop, and "spectacles" at AccorHotels Arena, the Olympia, Palais des Congres, and other concert venues.
Don't miss candlelight concerts, New Year's Eve concerts, and the special Eiffel Tower concert on Christmas Day! Tickets for all of these concerts start to sell fast and even sell out in November - so don't wait to get yours.
Check the lineup to find classical, rock, and Christmas concerts, opera, ballet, and other music shows happening throughout December, and get your tickets now:***y-paris-concerts-dec.shtml***
More Paris classical concerts, opera, & dance performances during December
More rock, pop, jazz, rap, indie, & other concerts during December - In the search box, enter: Paris December
Find Paris concerts for other months
Enjoy the Best Christmas Markets in Paris - 2021 Opening Dates
Sparkling lights and decorations, the smell of roasting chestnuts, cups of hot wine infused with cinnamon, and Swiss-style chalets overflowing with special holiday foods, hand-crafted gifts, and decorations.... Christmas Markets, a tradition since Medieval times, pop up all over Paris starting in late November.
Paris Christmas Market Schedule - 2021-2022
These Christmas markets are confirmed for 2021-2022:
- Tuileries Christmas Market: La Magie de Noël (The Magic of Christmas) - (formerly Champs-Élysées Christmas Market) - November 20, 2021 - January 2, 2022 ... Find out more
- St Germain des Prés Christmas Market - November 20 - January, 2022
- La Défense Christmas Village (along the Esplanade at the Arche de la Défense) - November 25 - December 29 for 2021
- Notre Dame Christmas Market at Square Viviani - December 10 - 26, 10am-8pm (9pm on Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Eiffel Tower Christmas Village on Champs de Mars - December 1, 2021-January 2, 2022
- Alsatian Christmas Market at Gare de l'Est - December 1-17
- Montmartre Christmas Market near Sacre Coeur - November 26 - January 2
- Christmas Market at the Feeries d'Anteuil (Rue Jean de la Fontaine, Paris 16) - December 4-12
- Canopée des Halles Christmas Village - Not clear yet if there will be a Christmas market this year - but the giant Christmas tree, lights, and decorations get lighted inside Forum des Halles on November 20, with a special performance by composer-dancer Bilal Hassani at 5pm under the Canopée.
- 15th Arrondissement Christmas Market Town Hall - December 17-24
Find details about what each market offers, which ones are best, lots of photos, and addresses
Not yet confirmed for 2021- No official announcements yet about these markets ... but we will investigate onsite and update the following information if/when we find them!
- Christmas Market at Hôtel de Ville (Paris City Hall, Rue de Rivoli, next to Hotel de Ville metro station, 4th arr) - December 10- January 2 - TBD v
- Saint Laz' Christmas Market in front of the Saint-Lazare train station, 9th arr - TBD
- Marché de Noël Paris Beaubourg - Christmas Market at Pompidou Center, 4th arr - November - January - TBD
- Bir Hakeim Christmas Market (not far from the Eiffel Tower) - December 10 -January 2 - TBD
- Christmas Market at Invalides - December 12-28 - TBD
- Sacre Coeur Christmas Market in front of Sacre Coeur - Mid-Dec - TBD
Selected Pop-Up & Short-Term Christmas Markets
Christmas Markets in Paris confirmed for 2021:
- Japanese Christmas Market - Espace Cinko, 12-18 Passage Choiseul, Paris 2 - 11am-7pm, November 18-20
- Christmas Eco-Villages on three weekends at La REcyclerie (83 Blvd Ornano, Paris 18): Mother Nature Christmas Market: Dec 4, 5; Shizen le Village de Noel Japonais: Dec 11, 12; Greenwitch - Le Village de Noel Eco-Feministe: Dec 18, 19
- Christmas Markets at the Pavillon des Canaux ("Les Canaux") (39 Quai de la Loire, on Canal d'Ourcq (close to Parc de la Villette), Paris 19) - Kinky Christmas Market on Nov 27, 28; Today's Growth, Tomorrow's Change: Dec 6, 7; Illustrations Market: Dec 12, 13; Visual & Musical Creations Market: Dec 18, 19
- English Christmas - St George's Anglican Church (7 Rue Auguste Vacquerie, 16th arr) - November 27
- Swedish Christmas Market - The Swedish Church (9 Rue Médéric, 17th arr, Metro: Courcelles) - Eight days instead of the usual three this year to make up for last year, with Swedish specialites such as glasswear, candles, cakes, lingonberry jam, chocolates, and Swedish herring and salmon - Nov 26 - Dec 5, 2021
- Specialty Christmas Markets on 3 Sundays with 3 themes and numerous creators in front of Le Hasard Ludique ("Playful Hazard"), the former Saint-Ouen rail station on the Petit Cienture and now a cultural venue (128 Avenue de Saint-Ouen, 18th arr; nearest Metro: Porte de St Ouen / Guy Moquet) - African-Style Christmas Market on Dec 4, 5; Merci Bernard's Vegan Christmas Market on Dec 12; Made in the 18th Arrondisement Market on Dec 18 - plus Christmas treats, mulled wine, specialty beers, and hot drinks all day. Free admission. More about Le Hasard Ludique: https://www.lehasardludique.paris
Still to be confirmed for 2021
We'll investigate in person and if we find these markets this year, we'll update the following information:
- Marché de Noël de Rock My Bergamote - Young French Designers at Le Pavillion des Canaux coffeeshop/restaurant (39 Quai de la Loire), Bassin de la Villette, 19th arr - 11am-8pm, early December
- Klin d'Oeil d'Hiver Christmas Market featuring 70 designers - Carreau du Temple (4 Eugene Spuller - 3rd arr) - Early December
More about Paris Christmas Markets: Details, locations, and directions
Christmas Lights & Holiday Decorations
Christmas lights ("Illuminations") and decorations start to appear in Paris starting in mid-November and continue through early January (until just before the January sales begin).
By December, you can see festive lights, decorations, and Christmas trees in all the city's key shopping districts. Don't miss the spectacular store window displays at Paris's four grand department stores!
Find the best places to see Christmas lights in Paris
Go on a Paris Christmas Lights Tour
Find out more about holiday window displays in Paris department stores
Christmas at Disneyland Paris in December 2021
Enchanted Christmas celebrations start at Disneyland Paris in early November and continue into January with plenty of entertainment and holiday spirit for everyone.
You'll find a spectacular giant tree, entertaining shows, festive Christmas parades, and sparkling holiday decorations everywhere. Each year brings new holiday features, lights, and shows at both Disney Parks, an immersive nighttime extravaganza, and singing carols with Santa, Mickey, and Minnie for a magical experience you won't forget. You can even expect snowflakes to fall a few times each day!
When: November 13 - January 9
Disneyland Paris and Transportation
Take the RER A to the Marne-la-Valée station across a small plaza from Disneyland Paris, and buy your tickets at the gate - or check out these options to make your trip faster and easier:***y-gyg-paris-disney.shtml***
Hanukkah Celebrations & Menorah Lightings in Paris 2021
Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, begins at sundown on November 28 this year, and lasts for eight days until sundown on December 6.
All over the City of Light, giant menorahs in public spaces (as well as normal size menorahs in private homes) will be lit in honor of the occasion, starting with just one candle on the first night plus one additional candle on each following night until all are glowing.
This year, Paris begins its public menorah lighting ceremony for Hanukkah at the Eiffel Tower at 8pm, followed by a "Hassidique" concert. (to be confirmed)
Find locations for the menorah lighting ceremony each night, plus more ways to celebrate Hanukkah in Paris
Things to Do in Paris in December
Visiting Paris in December? Here's a mix of fun indoor and outdoor activities to enjoy this month:
- Paris Christmas Lights Bus Tour - See all the fantastic holiday lights around the city from the top of a double-decker sightseeing bus. Dress warmly, and get ready for a fun city tour where you'll see the best holiday light displays in the city. Book now
- Moulin Rouge Show with Dinner Options - Enjoy a delicious dinner (vegetarian and vegan options available), Champagne, and fantastic performance of the Féerie show at the legendary Moulin Rouge for a quintessential Paris night on the town! Book now
- Christmas Eve and Day Dinner Cruises - Enjoy a special 5-course dinner cooked on board, live music, and magical views of illuminated famous sights and landmarks along the Seine River as you cruise by in a comfy glass-covered boat. These holiday cruises always sell out - so book early to avoid disappointment! Book now
- Paris Illuminations Cruise & Crazy Horse Burlesque Show - Start your evening with a cruise down the Seine River at dusk to see most famous Paris sights and monuments illuminated with floodlights, and then head to the iconic Crazy Horse Caberet and enjoy a glass of Champagne as you watch the spectacular burlesque show. Book now
- Paris Wine & Cheese Lunch - Love wine and cheese? In this small group experience in a beautiful tasting wine bar in a 17th century "hotel particulier" (private mansion) near the Louvre, you'll try 5 wines from different French regions and savor them with perfectly paired French cheese and charcuterie as you learn about their unique flavors and origins. Book now
Paris Exhibits - Shows to See during December 2021
Dalí: The Endless Enigma and Gaudí, Architect of the Imagination
@ Atelier des Lumieres - Immersive digital show accompanied by original music explores the works of Dalí and Gaudí.
Dates: Now through January 2, 2022; open daily
Tickets: 15€ adults; purchase online on the L'Atelier website
Getting there: 38 Rue Saint Maur, 11th arrondissement; Metro: Saint-Maur
Cinema at Last!
@ Orsay Museum - Arts, images, and entertainment in France from 1833 to 1907.
Dates: September 28, 2021 - January 16, 2022
Tickets: 16€ adults; temporary exhibitions included with general admission although may require a reserved time slot Book on the museum website for reserved time slot or through Get Your Guide for skip-the-line access
Location: 1 Rue de la Légion d'Honneur, Paris 7; Metro: Pont de l'Alma; Invalides
Find more Paris museum exhibitions for December & future months
Paris Museum and Attractions Passes
Get free admission and skip-the-line access to 60+ museums in and near Paris when you have a Paris Museum Pass for 2, 4, or 6 days. More info
Sunday Afternoon Christmas Concerts at the American Cathedral
The American Cathedral of Paris (23 Avenue George V, 8th district) will present Sunday afternoon concerts by local musicians of Christmas music during December. Here is the schedule:
Dec 18, 4pm: Christmas selections by the American Cathedral Choir and Andrew Dewar, organist
Dec 19, 6pm: Christmas selections by the American Cathedral Choir and Andrew Dewar, organist
Admission: Free but donations are appreciated.
More information: American Cathedral website
Handel's Messiah Sing-Along
Have you ever wanted to celebrate the holiday season by singing Handel's Messiah as part of a large group of enthusiastic singers?
You can do this on Sunday, December 12 at 3pm (to be confirmed) as the Paris Choral Society leads their annual Messiah Sing-Along of Part 1 and the famous Hallelujah Chorus at the American Cathedral (23 Avenue George V, 8th arr) - or, if you prefer, just listen. Don't know the words? No worries. You can rent or buy a copy of the score at the door.
See the Paris Choral Society website for details and ticket info.
Festival of Lights at Paris's Jardin des Plantes - 2021-2022
The annual winter Festival of Lights returns to the Jardin des Plantes (Botanical Garden) in Paris's 5th arrondissement, with giant illuminated statues of animals creating a magical experience during the evening. Each year, the animals represent a different phase of evolution, and this year you'll see creatures that roamed the earth some 500 million years ago as you stroll through the garden's enchanting imaginary universe filled with lights and colors.
Although the exhibition attracts almost 400,000 visitors each year, the garden never seems crowded.
Dates: November 15, 2021 - January 16, 2022
Location: Jardin des Plantes
Need to Book a Paris Hotel or Apartment for Your December Visit?
Planning a trip to Paris during the holiday season? Use this hotel map to find hotels and apartments near your favorite events and Paris attractions:***y-hotel-map.shtml***
More Top Paris Things to Do & See in December***y-gyg-paris-christmas.shtml***
More Articles about Things to Do in Paris in December
- Christmas Markets - Where to find the best in Paris
- Paris Christmas Lights - 12 best places to see them
- New Year's Eve in Paris - Where to celebrate the New Year
- Guide to Paris Concerts - Find schedules and tickets to classical, rock, jazz, indie, & more