Paris events during January ring in the New Year with celebrations and good cheer.
Although days are still short and the weather can be damp and chilly, you'll find plenty of warmth inside cozy Paris bistros, jazz clubs, museums, and concert halls, making January the perfect month to explore the "real" Paris without lines of tourists everywhere.
The eagerly awaited January Winter Sales markdowns bring a lot of excitement almost as soon as the New Year's celebrations end, with discounts offered on almost everything in the city: designer fashions, decorative items, jewelry.
If you don't want to brave the weather, you'll find plenty of tours and cruises to keep you dry while letting you experience top Paris attractions.
Top photo: Signs in Paris stores in the Marais neighborhood announcing savings for the biannual sales***y-share-icons.shtml***
Winter Sales on Designer Fashions - 2022
The famous Paris winter sales for 2022 run from January 6 - February 2. (to be confirmed)
As always, savings will be spectacular.
Look for Soldes signs in store windows all over the city, often followed by the amount of the reduction - typically 30-40% at the beginning but soaring as high as 70-80% at toward the end.
Best places to find bargains? Everywhere! Luxury labels such as Chanel, Valentino, and Armani draw huge crowds - ditto for the designer boutiques in the "Big 4" department stores: Galeries Lafayette, BHV, Bon Marché, and Au Printemps. But don't ignore smaller boutiques (head to the Marais, Les Halles, Saint-Germain-des Prés) and even global mid-market chains like Zara and H&M.
As usual, coveted Hermès bags, ties, scarves, jewelry, and other goodies go on sale for only 2-3 days at the special Hermes sale - expected to start on January 6 at Palais de Congrès near Porte Maillot - but those dates are not yet confirmed, so check back again soon.
Find out more about Paris Winter Sales 2022
Paris Tours for Fashionistas***y-gyg-paris-shopping.shtml***
Paris Concerts & Musical Events - January 2022
New Year's Day Concerts & Dance in Paris
- Don Quixote: Paris Opera Ballet - Opéra Bastille - Jan 1
- Concert at the Eiffel Tower - Jan 1
- Nijinski, Eyal, & Ashton - An evening of dance with music by Stravinsky (Rite of Spring), Debussy (Afternoon of a Faun), and Rachmaninov (Rhapsody) - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Jan 1
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Mozart's A Little Night Music - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - Jan 1
- New Year's Concert - Madeleine Church - Jan 1
- Chopin by Candlelight - Saint Ephrem Church - Jan 1
- New Year's Day with Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Christmas Songs - Saint Eustache Church - Jan 1
More January Concerts in Paris
- New Year's Concert (plus optional Champagne, wine, tapas) - Sainte Chapelle - January 2
- Don Quixote: Paris Opera Ballet - Opéra Bastille - Jan 2
- Nijinski, Eyal, & Ashton - An evening of dance with music by Stravinsky, Debussy, and Rachmaninov - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Jan 2
- Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne - Theatre des Champs-Elysees - Jan 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Christmas Concert - Madeleine Church - Jan 3
- One Night of Queen - Palais des Sports Paris - January 5
- Classic Concert: Bach & Vivaldi - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - Jan 8
- Baroque Arias for Farinelli - Mathieu Salama - Sainte-Elisabeth-de-Hongrie Church - Jan 8
- Harry Potter et L'Orde du Phènix - Palais des Congrès - Jan 8
- Bluebeard's Castle - Opéra Bastille - Jan 9
- Handel's The Messiah - Theatre des Champs-Elysees - Jan 12
- Gershwin & Kurt Weill: Pasdeloup Orchestra - Philharmonie de Paris - Jan 15
- Chopin by Candlelight - Saint Ephrem Church - Jan 17, 21, 26
- Candlelight Concert: Brahams, Beethoven, Chopin - Saint Ephrem Church - Jan 19, 27
- Four Seasons, Ava Maria, & Famous Concertos - Madeleine Church - Jan 27
- Body and Soul: Paris Opera Ballet - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Jan 30, 31
- La Khovantchina: Paris Opera - Opéra Bastille - Jan 30
- Chopin and Liszt by Candlelight - Saint Ephrem Church - Jan 30
More Paris classical concerts, opera, & dance performances during January
More Paris rock, pop, jazz, rap, indie, & other concerts during January - In the search box, enter: Paris January
Find Paris concerts for other months
Paris Museum Exhibitions for January
The Morozov Collection: Icons of Modern Art @ Louis Vuitton Foundation
The Morozov brothers' superb collection will fill every gallery at LVF with French modern art (Picasso, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Matisse, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Cezanne) and Russian modern art (Malevich, Repin, Serof, Vrubel).
Dates: September 22, 2021 - February 22, 2022
Tickets: 26€ adults; book in advance on website
Location: 8 Avenue du Mahatma Gandhi, Bois de Boulogne, Paris 16; Metro: Pont de Neuilly
Botticelli @ Musée Jacquemart-André
With about 40 works by the Italian renaissance master plus several by his contemporaries on display, this show explores Botticelli's workshop strategy for creation and artistic training.
Dates: September 10, 2021 - January 24, 2022
Tickets: 15€ adults; includes permanent collections plus exhibition; museum website
Location: 158 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris 8; Metro: Saint Philippe du Roule
Find more Paris museum exhibitions for January & future months
Paris Museum and Attractions Passes
Get free admission and skip-the-line access to 60+ museums in and near Paris when you have a Paris Museum Pass for 2, 4, or 6 days. More info
Epiphany Day & Galette des Rois in Paris
Paris (and the rest of France) observes Epiphany, the arrival in Bethlehem of Three Wisemen bringing gifts to Baby Jesus, on the first Sunday after January 1st - January 4 in 2021.
The tradition in France is to celebrate with champagne and galette des rois - Kings' Cake. This delectible confection is made from buttery puff pastry and almond paste with a tiny porcelein figurine or bean - la fève - hidden somewhere inside. When the cake is sliced and served, whoever finds the fève (hopefully without breaking a tooth in the process) gets to wear a golden paper crown for the rest of the day and even better, enjoy good luck for the coming year. Even though Epiphany is only one day, bakeries keep their windows filled with tantalizing displays of galette des rois in all sizes throughout most of January. Then the cakes disappear for the rest of the year - but you can enjoy a similar taste with an almond croissant.
Paris Fashion Week - January
Fashion Week brings a special buzz to Paris during January, when designers, celebrities, and fashionistas from around the world converge to see the latest trends in Men's Ready to Wear (January 19-24) and Haute Couture (January 25-28). Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the expectation is that these shows will be primarily digital.
The best places to glimpse the models (assuming you're not going to the invitation-only shows) are around the venue locations - the Grand Palais in the ritzy 8th arrondissement, Palais de Tokyo in the 16th, Espace Eiffel near the Branly Museum in the 7th, Palais Brongniart in the 2nd, and at a variety of smaller, hipper venues scattered around the city. The trendy Marais neighborhood, especially around Place des Vosges, and Palais Royal are always good model-spotting locales.
Even if you're not remotely interested in these shows, here's what you need to know: every hotel in central Paris neighborhoods fills up with attendees and rates soar (unlike Paris hotel rates during the rest of January) - so if you're planning a visit during this period, book as early as possible to get the best rates.
Festival of Lights at Paris's Jardin des Plantes - 2022
Chase away the winter darkness at the annual winter Festival of Lights at the Jardin des Plantes (Botanical Garden) in Paris's 5th arrondissement, with giant illuminated statues of animals creating a magical experience throughout the evening. Each year, the animals represent a different phase of evolution, and this year you'll see creatures that roamed the earth some 500 million years ago as you stroll through the garden's enchanting imaginary universe filled with lights and colors.
Although the exhibition attracts almost 400,000 visitors each year, the garden never seems crowded.
Dates: Through January 16, 2022
Location: Jardin des Plantes
More Fun Things to Do & See in Paris in January***y-gyg-paris-france.shtml***
Need a Paris Hotel or Apartment for Your Visit?
Planning a trip to Paris? Use this hotel booking map to find hotels and apartments during your travel dates:***y-hotel-map.shtml***
Pin Now, Read Again Later
More Things to Do & See in Paris in January
- Paris Church Concerts - Where to hear the best classic, baroque, sacred, and choral music in historic Paris churches
- Sainte Chapelle - All about the gorgeous stained glass, interesting tours, and candlelight concerts
- Why Visit Paris - In case you're wondering if you should visit Paris, here's why you should!
- Paris's Famous Winter Sales - Everything you need to know to score bargains at Paris's famous January/February sales