Risk Analysis of Harbor Dredging Impacts
Project Overview of Risk Analysis of Harbor Dredging on Shellfish Culture and Natural Resources
The Ngatiwai Trust Board of New Zealand needed a risk analysis of the potential impacts of a major harbor dredging and beachway modification project on shellfish culture operations and natural resources.
The Board asked Aquabio to perform a risk analysis and identify criticial shellfish culture and natural resource issues.
- Performed risk analysis
- Reviewed existing impact assessments and oceanographic studies
- Based on risk analysis and other information, evaluated impact of harbor dredging and beachway modification on shellfish culture and natural resources
- Identified critical natural resource issues for negotiation and biomonitoring
Results of Aquabio's Risk Analysis and Recommendations
- A review of the proposed changes to the harbor system suggested that long-standing green mussel culture operations could suffer due to induced changes in circulation
- Aquabio identified critical resource issues and biomonitoring actions for follow-up
Return to Risk Analysis from Harbor Dredging
Return to Aquabio Home Page from Harbor Dredging