New Bedford Harbor Planning for Artificial Reefs
New Bedford Harbor Project Overview
The Habitat Conservation Division of NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency) and the New Bedford Harbor Trustee Council wanted to consider using artificial reefs for fish and shellfish restoration to mitigate for fish and shellfish species injured by PCBs and metal contamination in New Bedford Harbor, Massachusetts.
- Natural Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) restoration planning
- Identification and evaluation of potential reef restoration sites
- Feasibility study preparation
- Artificial reef site and materials selection
- Placement design for artificial reefs
- Artificial reef configuration plans
- Aquabio identified a range of feasible sites and artificial reef designs, and prepared an artificial reef configuration plan and cost estimate for Trustee consideration.
- Plans incorporated prefabricated artificial reef modules and natural rocks to provide habitat for selected fish and shellfish species.
Return to Artificial Reefs from New Bedford Harbor Artificial Reef Planning
Return to Aquabio Home Page from New Bedford Harbor Artificial Reef Planning